Luckley House School
Luckley House School in Wokingham, Berkshire is a coeducational day and boarding school for pupils aged 11-18 years. It cherishes the performing arts, with its invaluable contribution to developing communication skills, creativity and self-confidence and wanted to bring more of it to their students. To do that, they had to build a new performance space. This space would be used by the school as a theatre, dance and drama studio, workshop but also used by the local community too.
Torpedo Factory Group (TFG) was appointed to work alongside Britain’s leading theatre consultants, Charcoal Blue. The brief was to a create a new performance space for Luckley House School, The Whitty Theatre, with a flexible stage lighting, audio, and visual infrastructure. The building is largely single-storey but has a gallery level of seats accessible within the volume of the auditorium.
Luckley House School wanted a performance system which was dynamic and user-friendly. Their aim was to have a multi-functional art centre which was not only available to the school but to the local community.
The Torpedo Factory Group designed and installed the stage lighting, audio visual technology for the newly built theatre.
Opened by the HRH Prince Edwards, Earl of Wessex, the Whitty Theatre is beautifully equipped 174-seat professional theatre with state-of-the-art audio visual and stage technology. It was cost effective to deliver and is much used by the school as a theatre, dance and drama studio, workshop. It also generates revenue as it’s a popular hire venue for a variety of events including plays, dance, music, film, lectures, and conferences.
“We cherish the performing arts, with their invaluable contribution to developing communication skills, creativity and self-confidence. The provision of a fully-equipped theatre and new drama teaching facilities will enable these to flourish.” Luckley House School
There are 120 channels of dimming, on two motorised bars front of house, a fixed grid above the stage, and at various points around the auditorium. All circuits and fixtures are to 16A and any of these circuits can be switched between Dimmer, Relay and Hard-Power. There are DMX points and Category-6 Stage Lighting Data points throughout the venue.
- 10 x ETC SmartPack 12-channel dimmer racks (2.3kW each, installed) (Wall mounted)
- ETC Ion console with fader wing
- ETC Paradigm architectural lighting processor
- 8 x ETC ColorSource LED PARs
- 8 x Martin Rush PAR 2 RGBW Zoom LED PARs
- 8 x Source Four Junior 25-50° Profiles
- 14 x ETC Source Four Fresnels
- 4 x PAR64 Floor PARs
- 6 x Chauvet COLORado Tour 144 LED Battens (permanent for cyc lighting)
- 2 x Apollo Right Arms
- LeMaitre Neutron hazer
- FBT Verve 108 & 112 PA system
- FBT Subline 18S Subs
- Lab Gruppen C-Series Amplifiers
- Allen & Heath QU32 Digital Mixer with AR-2412 audio rack
- Fully patchable Audio Tie-Lines and SpeakOn points around the venue
- QLab 3 Pro show control software
- CD & iPod/iPhone playback
- 4 x AKG D5 dynamic microphones
- 2 x Sennheiser ew100 G3 handheld radio microphones (can be changed to lapel mics)
- Sennheiser TourGuide 2020-D assistive listening system.
- 2 x DBX passive DI
- 8 x mic stands
- Christie LHD700 7000-lumen HD projector (installed)
- VP-725N video switcher
- Mac, DVD & Blu-ray playback to projector
- VGA & HDMI inputs at control position and stage
- Patchable Fibre Optic, Category 6 Data & Video points throughout the venue
- TecPro dual-circuit beltpack system for full communication between control positions
- Paging system and Show Relay to dressing room
- Camera Show Relay to backstage (stage view)
- Backstage Blues
- Bar Bell system for Front of House